Saturday, June 17, 2006

More soccer news



Week two of the World Cup was an exciting one. My own favorite team, England; won again. Albeit an ugly win, they won just the same. This assures them of moving on to the round of 16. Hopefully, the extra time will give Wayne Rooney time to heal, so that he can make an impact for the Three Lions.

Today, there were two great matches. Ghana upset the Czech Republic. This was huge because Ghana had never even scored a goal in the World Cup before today, much less win a match. And the US played a great match tying Italy. With this tie, the US needs to win against Ghana, and Italy to beat the Czech Rep. If both of those things happen, then the US will sqeak into the next round.

For those of you who don't like soccer, you should give it a try. It will play with your emotions! I don't know much about the game, but watching gets me on my ear. Every made goal is a rejoice, and every missed goal is equal to the loss of a kingdom. Children cheer and run wildly for every win, and grown men cry at losses. All over the world, millions of man-hours of work are being lost. Pubs all over Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, North and South America are filled to capacity. And people on every continent are finding themselves kissing perfect strangers because of what is happening on few grassy fields in Germany. It is wonderful!

1 comment:

Sher said...

Been watchin a lot of World Cup Soccer with my family this weekend. What's up with the ref at the US game on Saturday??? That was just makin me mad! I have to say that I was pulling for Australia on Sunday, but I mean, it's pretty tough comin up against Brazil!!!

I'm looking forward to Thursday!