Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A moment of clarity...


Last night, I had a moment of clarity. I was sitting in the biggest recliner you have ever seen, watching the UGA v. West Virginia game. I was screaming and yelling at the tv. I was furious about how poorly the Dawgs were playing, and enraged at the poor officiating of the game, when it happened. Have you ever had one of those moments when God makes something clear to you, and I mean crystal clear. I had just gotten finished ranting at the officials of last night's game, when God showed me myself. It was as if I was hovering 6 feet off of the ground watching myself, mad at a team, and angry at men I don't even know. It was ugly, and not becoming of a man of God.

You know, I used to make fun of Big D. for things like this. He told me one time that it was hard being a Tennessee fan, because they were good. He was right. When your favorite team tastes a little success, you begin to like the taste, and every loss is all the more bitter. Since my beloved Bulldogs have become one of the nations' better teams, I have found myself more and more upset when they lose. I actually sort of miss the ho hum Bulldog days. It was easy to be a fan then. If the Dawgs won 7 games you were excited because they played above their capabilities, and were going to a bowl game. Now, I get upset if they don't win their BCS bowl game. There is something wrong with that.

So, you guys straighten me out, and help me get a proper perspective on everything. I will try to get myself under control. As a matter of fact, I will discipline myself. I will not watch any University of Georgia football games until August of 2006. ;)

4 comments:

Thomas Winborn said...

Dont worry Chris. It will be a humbling season next year. You won't get to see many wins anyhow. :-)

Thomas Winborn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dashadra said...

I love and hate those moments when I see myself for who I truly am and hope that others dont see me that way. It is those moments that grow us into the person that God desires us to be. We can all become someone we dont even recognize when something that we are passionate about doesnt go our way, but the Lord has shown us that if we are passionate about the things that are of Him and for Him, then we will be more like Him.

The Lord gave you some perspective on this game that takes up our Saturdays in the Fall, this may be hypocritical, but it is just a game and it shouldnt affect us the way that it does, (I know, you can laugh now!)

Ok, I am done...

Anonymous said...

Well said friend. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Check out my blog-- I changed everything.

-geo