Thursday, May 18, 2006

As a former teacher, I found this funny...

SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS???I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers.Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months ayear! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do...baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right...I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only the hours they worked, not any of that silly planningtime. That would be 15 dollars a day. Each parent should pay 15 dollars a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day .... maybe 25. Then that's 15 X 25=$375 a day. But remember they only work 180 days a year!I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see...that's 375x180=$67,500.00(Hold on,! my calculator must need batteries!)What about those special teachers or the ones with master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6 times 5 hours times 25 children times180 days = $135,000.00 per year.Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!!There sure is, duuh????!!

I stole this from Lance Perkins Blog.

5 comments:

Madison said...

I know some professions that get paid that much and they don't babysit anyone but themselves.

Anonymous said...

Let me start off by saying that I am an Advertising Executive and hold no personal biases in the field of education. I stumbled upon your blog this afternoon.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read; a very ignorant commentary. You clearly have no, or very little, understanding of the importance of the teaching profession. I noticed that you are pursuing higher education...I would hope you would value your instructors more, and the ones who taught (or in your words "babysat") you as a child.

Your location is Fort Worth, TX... check out the FWISD pay scale... a teacher would have to work more 30 yrs. + and have a Doctorate degree to even hit $64,000; a lame income compared to other professionals who work 30+ years with a Doctorate level education.

If anything, our teachers are pathetically underpaid to work long hours (no teacher works only 8-5), manage 25+ people in their classroom that have a variety of socio-economic, family, and learning issues.

Additionally, I see that you are a person pursuing a religious degree to most likely teach/preach. Therefore, it is very surprising to me that you would not value the teaching profession. Why would you pursue a Master's Degree in Divinity if you did not value teaching others about Jesus? Luke 10: 7 says: "[...]for the laborer is worthy of his wages.“ Jesus made this statement in the context of sending out 70 of His disciples to preach to the Jews.

Why would you have a problem paying teachers, secular or religious, for their due work?

RC said...

whoever wrote that last anonym. comment probably didn't realize you were being sarcastic...

it's a funny perspective...as long as people pick up the sarcastic tone.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Robino said...

I am so glad that the previous anonymous commentor is not a teacher. I can't see at all how anyone would miss the sarcasm that is all over that. So frustrating! This is why I love classical education in which people are taught how to analyzie and critique writings. Anyhow, good stuff, but your reader......my dear, I worry so much about our country.

C. A. McKinney said...

Anonymous, I was a public school teacher for four years. Believe me, I understand that teachers are paid far too little! This quote is inteded to be sarcastic, showing how little we do pay teachers. I consider my previous and current teachers and professors to be some of the best, and most important people in my life. I am sorry for the confusion.