Thursday, March 23, 2006

It is official, the excitement can begin...


I know that this comes as no surprise to most of you, but I am a little weird. I love American football, pads, big hits, touchdowns, bratwurst, coca-cola, and all. However, four years ago I watched the World Cup in Korea. Since then I have been a futbol fan as well. That is right, I like soccer. I have been keeping up with the English Pemier League for a few years. I like to watch soccer on tv. It is a lot of fun. Well, the World Cup, soccer's biggest event; the world's biggest sporting event, is just around the corner, and I am excited about it.

The World Cup rocks. For the rest of the world, this is the biggest and most important event in the sporting world. No Continent is left unrepresented (well, except for Antarctica, but it doesn't really count now does it.) All over the world, little kids and grown men will sit around radios and televisions listening with deep pride and nervous tension to see how their team will do. Whole countries will shut down on the day that their team plays. People will shout, scream, cry, and wail over the events that take place on a relatively small piece of meticulously manicured grass in Germany. What an event!

As far as my knowledge goes, no team from Africa has ever won the world cup, so I would personally love to see one of the teams from Africa: Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, and Angola; to win. My favorite team from Africa is Cote D' Ivoire. I would shout for joy if they won. This is Aruna Dindane. He is one of the great young players from the Ivory Coast.


Though I would love it if a team from Africa would win, I would love it even more if my favorite team, England; would win. This is England's youngest and best player, Wayne Rooney. He has impressed people with his play in the EPL this past season, and promises to push England far into the World Cup.

I will be looking for all of you at the Fox and the Hound to join me in the World Cup madness very soon. I hope that you will fall in love with it the way I have.

3 comments:

Sher said...

Oh Chris, I am a total soccer nut! I played when I was younger, and was the manager/stats girl/media liason for the boys team in high school. It is such a fun and exciting sport!

The college group at my church was suppossed to go to Germany and do sports evangelism at the World Cup this summer. Our old pastor is there. However, unfortunatly, it didnt' work out for us to go. That would have rocked though!

dashadra said...

I will watch it with you, but I cant promise that I will be as excited as you. I guess I will just have to play pool at Fox and the Hound while you watch it!

dashadra said...

Update it!!