Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Irony...

I am a pretty big guy, sort of on the rough and tough side. I have played my share of football, been in my share of fights, done my share of stupid things, and done my share of strenous work. But today, I thought about some of the silly injuries that I have sustained. Here are three examples:

I played my share of sports, and never had a serious injury until I dislocated my knee playing Whiffle Ball with the kids across the street from my parents. Whiffle Ball! Who gets hurt playing Whiffle Ball?

I grew up near a lake with lots of inlets and coves, with lots of bridges crossing said inlets. Well, as a high schooler my buddies and I thought it would be cool to jump off of those bridges into the water. That ceased to be fun, so we decided that we should begin jumping out of moving trucks off of the bridge into the water. I never got hurt doing that. However, one day in college, I was in the parking lot in front of my apartment, when I stepped backwards, tripped over a curb and fell. As I was falling down, I reached my arms back to brace myself, and crack! I broke my arm.

And finally, I worked for the school I attend as a cabinet maker. I carried kitchen cabinets, sheets of plywood, metal scaffolding, etc. I never once hurt myself doing all the things I did there. But this past Sunday, I went to pick up my new, 3 oz cell phone from off the floor, and pulled a muscle in my back. How Ironic.

8 comments:

Thomas Winborn said...

It isn't ironic Chris...it is because we are getting old. :-)

C. A. McKinney said...

What is this we stuff white man?

Ginny said...

OK. How 'bout substitute teaching a 7th grade gym class and tearing my ACL while jump roping? WHO DOES THAT?!?!?

dashadra said...

Jumping off a bridge from a moving car....I still dont get it.

C. A. McKinney said...

Dashadra,

I was young and dumb and looking for some fun. Besides, we saw it on a movie, and though it was cool. It was a lot of fun to do, not so smart, but fun.

Thomas Winborn said...

Ok, it isn't we...it is YOU Chris. You are old. :-) (I was trying to be nice and not leave you all alone out there in the elderly realm.)

C. A. McKinney said...

Whatever,I am not old. The thinning hair and the grey in my beard is all a costume so that I will fit in with my senior adults,... yeah,... yeah, that's the ticket!

dashadra said...

You really work hard on your disguise dont you?