Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My Hometown...



Hey gang! I'm back from GA. I had a great time, and have some stories to tell. Today, I want to show you some of the sights, so that you see a little bit of what my hometown is like.

Where do you think the first and largest gold strike was found in the U.S.? If you guessed Dahlonega,Georgia (25 miles from my hometown of Gainesville), you would be correct. Because of the huge influx of gold into the U.S. economy around the 1830's the U.S. government allowed a privately owned mint to strike coins in my hometown. There is no remnant of the mint left, but we do have this tasteful, and informative sign to remind us of it.


This is probably not politically correct, but neither am I. This is our monument to the men from Gainesville who fought in the Civil War. If you know anything about Civil War memorials, then you will know that this is the only Civil War memorial that shows a soldier "at the ready." Civil War buffs from all over the U.S. come to Gainesville to see it.
























These are the Gainesville Midland train, and the little red caboose. They are not really all that special, but I like them so you get to see them.


My hometown is the Poultry Capitol of the World! This is the "Big Chicken," standing firm and tall honoring and reminding all of us from Gainesville of our proud poultry industry.









This is Pearce Auditorium at Brenau University. I spent many a day watching the plays Brenau produced in this building.







This is Byers Road, the road my Parents live on. When I see these views, I know that I am home.







Stay tuned boys and girls for more pics and stories from my hometown.

2 comments:

dashadra said...

So glad you are back!! Wow, the home of the big chicken, that is special.

C. A. McKinney said...

Are you makin' fun of me? Stop makin' fun of me! 'cause if you're makin' fun of me and my hometown, you should stop!